Trek: Lama Hotel to Langtang and Kyangin Ri

We left the Gatlang / Briddhim region of our walk by entering the track at Lama Hotel (2470m), and then headed up the Langtang valley staying at Langtang village (3430m.). The next day we walked to Kyangjin village (3870m). In the morning we ascended Kyangjin Ri which is at 4350m and then we descended back to Langtang village.
I am writing this stage of the blog a few years after the Gatlang / Briddhim discourse as soon  after we left Nepal a dreadful earthquake with its epicentre at Langtang destroyed the entire town and many other towns in Nepal. I suffered emotionally and could not write about this trip for a long time, without being overcome with the thoughts that the people I met whether directly, or just passing by, captured in my many photos died or have been traumatized by this catastrophic event.

It was even more saddening that we took the opportunity to visit the local medical facility financed and stationed with volunteer doctors by an Australian charity.  A nurse (Virginia Dixon)  based in Canberra started this charity, have a listen to her talk on ABC radio: Canberra nurse regroups after earthquake destroyed years of charitable work . One of the volunteers,  a lovely young doctor who had just finished university, and her partner were volunteering. She was to leave soon, but I was not sure when so I asked after her.
After enquiry, almost two months later I was emailed to say that they were safe and sound:
 
"Thankyou for your concern. Both of our volunteers Erin and Ben have been rescued and they are safely back to Australia.

 (Unfortunately the Nepalese nurse in this picture is no longer alive.) Now Virginia has gone to assist with a broader charity providing medical aid to remote areas that miss out on aid due to their remoteness: Roads to Rehab Nepal https://roads-to-rehab-nepal.org/ . I have donated as I have seen the direct results of this charity in Langtang and am sure Virginia is true herself with this new cause too.

The Langtang valley trek was a beautiful trek, along with the Gatlang-Bridhim trek was a memorable and beautiful experience for me and my daughter, I trust that recovery of the area, will once again bring in people to visit. I hope the Nepalese Government resettles people into safer areas away from the terror of avalanche, however it will be a futile hope that they will get the modern materials and technology to make their homes more earthquake resilient. (we never know, a philanthropist could come to the rescue.)

Anyway, I lament; but the story I will finish per the trek:

This sign posted on the track provides good advice to high altitude hikers. Even with our preliminary walk through Gatlang village we suffered a bit of a headache. The more time and slower you take it, the better.

Going up and it's getting cold. At least this young animal has a nice protective jumper.
I walked into a temple, and there was  wake. Friends of the deceased spend a few says sitting down telling stories of the good times during their lives with him. We were invited and offered a cup of the heady local drinks just to get into the spirit of things (excepted Katie of course).
Another yak Cheese factory. We loved the taste of this strong unusually flavoured cheese, but as we had some left over from Gatlang, we did not purchase any more.
It was cold up here, lucky for my daughter, I have some excellent down gear in my snow camping equipment. (and I was all willing to share it !)
The scenery was getting better the further we ascended into the valley. Katie was getting tired, the altitude taking its toll, but has big smile on her face.
At a rest point, I just have to engage in my ritual antics for cold remote places and have a bit of a baptism. Very therapeutic !
These two ladies were busy enticing us to stay at their place when we arrive in town. Should we refuse ?
In Kyanjin Gumba there was a fantastic bakery. If only we could stay a few more days to try out all their offerings.
As enticing as all the offerings were, this apple pie was just the ticket for me.

And Katie could not resist the chocolate cake.
Overnight was not an easy sleep. Altitude has that effect giving us mild headaches. In the morning Katie was not up to the ascent of Kyangin Ri.  However, I did not wish to miss the opportunity so I proceeded, leaving Katie to rest in the room and the bakery.  It was  quite challenging to climb being very steep.
The effort was well worth it with a rewarding grand view on the blue sky morning. This avalanche was timed well whilst clicking away with my camera.
We thanked our guide and sherpa for providing a good service and company on our trek. You could do this trek as a self managed walk, but we were more than happy to have their assistance. It doesn't cost a lot in terms of our income and sure beats walking with a loaded back pack, where it's hard enough to carry our own weight at these altitudes.

Back in Kathmandu it was time for a shave. I was probably more bothered by thought of the cutthroat razor that the walk.

A rickshaw ride and a bit of shopping therapy helps tidy up the end of the trip.

Letting your guard down in Kathmandu is not wise though. Both Katie and I suffered a bout of food poisoning from the hotel food. I was sick and throwing up on the first leg of the plane trip from Kathmandu to Kuala Lumpur, then Katie on the second to Melbourne. Poor Katie was grey and collapsed at the baggage carousel.


Blog Indexes:

Comments